Please follow these directions when getting ready for this test.
- Your doctor will ask you to bring in specific food for the food challenge (Baked Milk Recipe, Baked Egg recipe). You may also be asked to bring a favorite food in which to place/conceal the food to be challenged.
- Usually you eat only the food being provided during the food challenge. Please discuss this with your nurse and do not eat other foods during the food challenge.
- We do not want to perform the challenge if you are sick. This includes cold symptoms, diarrhea or a stomach ache, a body rash or atopic dermatitis flare. The food challenge results may be hard to interpret if these are present. If you have any questions, please call the allergy clinic in advance. The number to call is: (920) 969-1768
- Please make sure to have a family member or friend available to take you home in the event that you are given a medication during the challenge which could impair your ability to drive home.
- Please arrive 15 to 20 minutes before your challenge and check in at the Front Desk as soon as you arrive.
The following medicines might affect the results of the food challenge and will need to be stopped before the testing is done unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
If the medicine is not stopped before the food challenge we may not be able to perform the challenge.
All antihistamines will affect the results of some of these tests and need to be stopped before the testing is done. If you have any concerns about stopping antihistamines please check with your doctor before you stop the medicine.
Stop these antihistamines for the length of time listed before your appointment for the challenge:
Stop These Oral Antihistamines For 5 Days Before Your Appointment:
- Claritin® (loratadine)
- Allegra® (fexofenadine)
- Clarinex® (desloratadine)
- Zyrtec® (cetirizine)
- Xyzal® (levoceterizine)
Stop These Oral Antihistmanines For 3 Days Before Your Appointment:
- Actifed®, Dimetapp® (brompheniramine)
- Atarax®, Vistaril® (hydroxyzine)
- Benadryl® (diphenhydramine)
- Chlortrimeton® (chlorpheniramine)
- Phenergan® (promethazine)
- Tavist®, Antihist® (clemastine)
- Astelin®, Astepro®, Dymista® (nasal sprays)
- Actifed®, Aller-Chlor®, Bromfed®, Drixoral®, Dura-tab®, Novafed-A®, ine-D®, Trinalin® (Combination medicines)
If you are taking an antihistamine that is not listed, ask your doctor.
Some antidepressants can also act as an antihistamine. Let your doctor know if you are on any antidepressants before the food challenge. Do not stop the antidepressant without discussing it with your doctor.
Stop These Medicines The Night Before Your Appointment:
- Singulair® (montelukast)
- Accolate® (zafirlukast)
Stop These Medicines The Morning Of Your Appointment:
- Zyflo® (zileuton)
- Tagamet® (cimetadine)
- Zantac® (ranitidine)
- Pepcid® (famotidine)
- Axid® (nizatidine)
Continue to take all other medicines as you usually do.